Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Conley Chapter 3

Chapter 3 informs us that No Child Left Behind requires teachers to be held accountable for every student in their classrooms- by being tested on specific standards. How can teachers avoid teaching to the test when they are faced with mandated assessments such as these? It seems that the assessment creates a strict schedule for the teacher that can not be veered from, even when students are very curious or interested in a topic that is not included in the assessment. This seems to stifle the learning process and does not encourage much inquiry and exploration.

This chapter also has a lot of information about using textbooks in the classroom, and choosing a textbook that is the most appropriate for your students. I understand that teachers need to use the textbook and create their own personalized instruction connecting with the text, but in my experience, there are very few textbooks that can be considered interesting to young students. Do students have to read directly from the textbook? I have a hard time paying attention to textbook information, so I know my students will. How can I use the textbook, but still focus on students' interests (and not put them to sleep)?


When teachers use literacy (specifically writing) in their content areas, students seem to focus more on the structure and grammar than the content. How can we avoid this? Correct grammar and spelling are very important for students to communicate effectively in the world as professionals- but should grammar and spelling be included in the criteria of a math, social studies, or science assignment? Shouldn't the focus be placed on the specific content of the assignment?

"Big Ideas" remind me of the themes/goals/etc. of the thematic units we did for Mrs. Beavers last semester. They provided connections by linking all of the subject areas together and focusing on one main idea. I think the thematic units are great- but very time consuming. It is sometimes difficult to connect something from math with something from history or science, etc.

2 comments:

  1. Holly, the question you pose about teaching to the test is one that bothers me as well. I've always said that I do not want to be that sort of teacher; I want to help my students gain skills that will help them be successful in life, not successful on standardized tests. But the fact is, the school is going to hold me accountable for my students' test scores. Further, they are going to expect me to teach them what they need to know to do well on the tests. I doubt the school will care whether my students are learning the Big Ideas, as long as they are getting good scores.
    I wish there was a solution to all this, but I've yet to hear one. There is always the suggestion of doing both, but where do we find the time? And then there are those that say if you teach the Big Ideas/concepts, then students will do well on the test without all the drill and practice. I tend to agree with this idea, but I don't know how I can do that when I get into a school that has a set schedule, set lesson plans, and set textbooks/worksheets that they expect all students to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that teachers must be held accountable for their students' learning, and standarized testing seems to be the simplest way of doing so. I wish that there was another way to measure what students have learned. In order for students to be successful on such tests, they must have all of their basic needs satisfied (hunger, sleep, etc.), there must be no distractions around them, they must be motivated to do their best, and they must understand the language of the test (A student may know that 3*5=15, but will they know what the product of three and five is?). There are too many factors that influence the outcome of standarized tests. How can teachers prepare their students for these tests and still have time to personalize lessons to engage and motivate students?

    ReplyDelete